Blood tests play an important role in diagnosing and monitoring many conditions. It helps detect diseases early while they are still treatable.
Why are blood tests important?
Blood tests are important for a range of reasons:
- To check the effects of long-term medication use
- Prior to anaesthesia, to reduce any risks, particularly for older pets
- Senior pets (yearly blood tests can diagnose old age disease while they can still be managed)
- Increased thirst or appetite
- Unexplained weight loss or gain
- Sudden illness
- Heartworm testing
- FIV (Feline Aids testing)
- Genetic testing. Understanding of your dogs lineage can mean knowing their pre-disposition to specific conditions
Our blood testing equipment
Our clinic has it's own biochemistry and haematology blood machines. This means they will get results back quickly and save lives, in the case of emergencies. Your vet can also refer your pet to a pathology lab for certain tests, if required.